Athlete Feature Rachel Muenzer
Ok………this one is long overdue. Rachel and I go way back and she has always been one of my favorites(secretly of course). She is literally one of the most genuinely thoughtful and kind people I have ever personally known and just knowing her has helped me be kinder……even though just maybe a little. I remember when I first started coaching at 480 it was Christmas or something and she brought me a little card and starbucks gift card and my mind was blown that someone would think of me outside the gym (we’ll save those issues for another post). Of course I had received birthday gifts and xmas gifts from close friends and family but not from someone who wasn’t really obliged to get me something, lol. Now this clearly wasn’t something she even thought twice about and I am sure she had a whole sack of cards but this little act of kindness reminded me that people are nice and thoughtful and it made me want to be kinder and more thoughtful and I like to think I’ve made some progress in that department…..so thank you Rachel for helping me be a better person by simply doing what comes so naturally to you.
1. What brought you to Crossfit and what keeps you coming back? I started crossfit over 5 years ago when our family moved to AZ from the midwest. My only exercise program at that time was running; it was summer and I needed to find something else for exercise and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I tried a free class! the rest is history. What keeps me coming back- hands down- the community.
2. Tell us about your life outside of the gym. (family, career, interests, hobbies) Life outside the gym- I am The Boss of Applesauce ? I am a stay-at-home mom of two girls (14 and 10)…I have been married for 16 years to my hubby- jared. Mom life hustle is my main thing and I love it! I enjoy hiking, being outside, family time and travel!
3. What is your favorite Crossfit movement and/or Benchmark workout? Gosh- favorite movement… i guess pull-ups. I don’t really mind them and they make me feel a little bit like a kid playing on the monkey bars!
4. What is the movement that when you see it on the board you want to leave the gym? Seriously?! Have you seen me attempt a one arm wave with an air squat? I, literally, cannot do this movement. It’s such a struggle!
5. What is your favorite indulgent food/meal? I am a pretty simple girl- i love pizza and beer or cheeseburger, fries and a beer!
6. What is your favorite motivational quote? When was the Last time you did something for the First time?- John C Maxwell. This one really resonates with me- i heard a speaker use it a race event when I was considering my first Triathlon. The phrase (for me) serves as gentle nudge or reminder to get outside your comfort zone and engage in new experiences.
7. If you could be an animal what animal would you be and why? I would love to be a giraffe because they have legs for days! Really, though…they are just so beautiful and serene looking. And those eyelashes!
8. How has Crossfit impacted your life and helped you live “Life Unbroken”? All the feels on the way Crossfit has impacted my life for the better! Physical strength has been a most happy consequence of all the hard work in the gym, but I’d have to say that evolving comfort in my own skin is the winner. More confidence and the ability to work through a setback or self-doubt…. it’s all good and I’m grateful to have an amazing gym family that is part of my journey!
2018 02 13