Andrew King Featured Athlete
Alright…….this has been long overdue but this month’s feature athlete is Andrew King.
Andrew is the kind of member every gym owner hopes walks through the door. He was introduced to me through an old client of mine who I had coached durning my time at CF480. To be honest initially I thought, “this guy won’t be back in” after our initial meeting but he did come back . I don’t know if I had seen anyone struggle with the workouts as much as he did but he NEVER complained, quit, or made an excuses. He just came in, did the work, and tried to get better every day.
His hard work quickly paid off and he began seeing incredible results participating in the nutrition challenges. He has easy has the most dramatic transformation at the gym and shows no signs of slowing down. We can program the workouts and go over nutrition but it is up to the individual to take advantage of the tools we give you and he has certainly done that.
I’ve got to know Andrew quite well and really enjoy having him around the gym. I guess I should thank Antonio for bringing him in, lol. At any rate, Andrew is killing it and I know he is the inspiration for a lot of folks around the gym.
One thing I really love is that he really goes out of his way to talk to new members and share his story with them. We look forward to continuing this journey with Andrew!!!!
1. What brought you to Crossfit and what keeps you coming back? Weight loss/Health. At one time in my life I weighed over 285lbs. My weight has gone up and down over the last five years. One of the worst weight gains I had was when my wife was pregnant with my first son. When she got pregnant again this year I knew I had to get more physical activity. I have a friend who is a big believer in CrossFit. I stopped by a few boxes and chose BOTB. What keeps me coming back… people and programming… I love our works outs. Not just the WOD but the fact that we do a warm up, strength, then WOD. I love the strength cycles we have, and all that goes into our programing. Add in the fact that we have a great group of hardworking, competitive people that give off great positive energy at the box, and it makes it addictive for me. It’s an awesome environment to be a part of.
2. Tell us about your life outside of the gym. (family, career, interests, hobbies). Let’s see I have a amazing wife Brianna and three awesome kids. Keoni is my 16 year old step son, soon to be a senior at Saguaro next year. He decided to photobomb our family pic and not smile… jokes on him… I used it anyway! I have three and a half year old Brigan, who is addicted to Star Wars and all things super hero related. Then we have our newest addition Theron, born May 7th, 2017. I’m a Medical Sales Rep for Novasom Home Sleep Testing. We test patients in their own homes for Obstructive sleep Apnea. I used to have many hobbies and watched a ton of sports, but now I’m either… working, with Family or at BOTB… oh but I do still try to read as often as possible. It is the best therapy for anything that ails you.
3. What is your favorite Crossfit movement and/or Benchmark workout? So many that I have grown to love. If I had to pick one it would be deadlifts… I feel it’s my strongest.
4. What is the movement that when you see it on the board you want to leave the gym? Any warm up with an animal in it.
5. What is your favorite indulgent food/meal? It will forever be buffalo style hot wings.
6. What is your favorite motivational quote? Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts. – Winston Churchill
7. If you could be an animal what animal would you be and why? You know how some kids get pegged with a favorite animal and for the rest of their life family members by them stuff related to this animal? Mine was monkeys… so in the spirit of that, I think I would be a monkey. Plus you have to think monkeys would be the elite crossfitters of the animal kingdom… great strength, lean, amazing flexibility and gymnastic skills.
8. How has Crossfit impacted your life and helped you live “Life Unbroken”? As stated above I came to BOTB for my weight loss, however what I got was much more than I expected. I expected to get a workout similar to a gym with a personal trainer or some High Intensity Gym experience. What I have received is an education. Not just in CrossFit movements, but olympic weightlifting, nutrition, body composition, there is so much to learn from our coaches. Now add in Yoga, something that I never thought I would do but now can not live without. It has taught me not just breathing, stretching, and mental focus, but how to help refocus negative energy into positive energy. Overall BOTB has made a huge positive impact on my life and not only I can tell, but my family and friends can too. BOTB continues to help me on my path of being the best “me” I can be, and reminds me the only limitations we have are the ones in our minds.
2017 05 23